Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Warm Bodies [Review]

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)

Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Format Acquired: mobi for kindle
Publication Date: October 28, 2010
Publishing House: Vintage
IBSN: 0099549344




This is a joint review of the book and the movie.

Summary:
'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

The Book:

I have to admit, I read this book solely based on the movie preview. After I saw the preview, I just HAD to read the book. And, after I read the book I absolutely had to see the movie. Can you say unique? This book was on a subject that I have never really read about. I've seen zombie movies but I have never really had an interest in reading books about them. What struck me as odd about the storyline of this book was that it seemed to be a new type of romance plot. But, it's about zombies? ... okay. I was a bit skeptical, but it seemed promising so I had to read it. One of the things that I enjoyed in this story was the humor. I was never really not smiling throughout the novel. There are a few gory parts throughout... but I mean it is a zombie movie. I wouldn't expect any less. 

R is seriously the coolest zombie I have ever had the chance to read about. He actually has emotion, even if he does question it at some times. You can be a zombie and still have remorse about killing your victims... who knew? Julie is also a special character that I commend. Although she is thoroughly grossed out by R at first and probably scared out of her wits she still makes the situation to her benefit  She even shows her sarcastic and witty side at times, which I found to be very comical given the situation. She also ends up falling for a zombie. Talk about nondiscrimination.

Overall, I really loved this book. I ended up finishing it in about three hours on a school night, that's how much I loved it. I completely recommend this read for anyone wanting to try out a genre outside of their norm. I promise it isn't cheesy!

Overall:

The Movie:

This isn't really a true review persay, I just wanted to gush about how great this movie was. Really guys... go buy a ticket now! I went and saw it on premiere night because I am that much of a nerd, but it was AMAZING! Nicholas Hoult? Swoon! I mean, yes he is a zombie. But, he is the hottest zombie I have ever seen in my life. Here is a preview and some swag from the movie. I am advertising it shamelessly. 



1 comments:

Unknown said...

I really want to see this movie! I'm glad you liked the book so much but I am not sure if I'd get into it as much.

Just started following you and hope you can maybe stop by my page and follow back as well!

Post a Comment